top of page

Being an Independent Contractors

In the simplest form, an Independent Contractor (IC) is self-employed and provides a service to other businesses. The contractor's work is independent of the supplying company. This means the work performed and the performance of work is up to the IC to complete and not dictated by the supplying company. In no way does Independent Field Connections (IFC) control the process of how the work is completed.

In most cases, we will only contact our Independent Contractors if there is an update to a report, an error has occurred in the reporting process, or the work order has gone past it's due date. Larger job orders will also warrant a call to ensure completion dates before providing. We do encourage our contractors to reach out to us if there are questions or assistance needed in their workflow process, but this is at the contractors discretion.


Being an IC doesn't mean you are alone without guidance or assistance, and a friendly call to our office will clarify any instructions regarding client requests are always welcome. Below is a list of what you need to get started. 

1. Employee Identification Number

An Employee Identification Number (EIN) is required in order to be an Independent Contractor with Independent Field Connections. 

What is an EIN? 

An EIN is a nine-digit number assigned by the IRS. It's used to identify the tax accounts of employers and certain others who have no employees. The IRS uses the number to identify taxpayers who are required to file various business tax returns.

Why is this required?

In order to perform work with the IC, we require a registered EIN to ensure the IRS is appropriately notified of the work received. We do not allow Social Security Numbers to be used in lieu of an EIN.

How to get an EIN and more information, visit the IRS's website by clicking the link below:

2. Proof of business operations (one of the following below)
  1. State Business License with Business name.

  2. DBA documentation or Fictitious filing including business name

  3. Secretary of State filing with the business name

  4. Bank Account and Check with Name of Business – Must be a business, not a personal account

A company has to file what's known as a DBA, meaning "doing business as." A DBA is also known as a "fictitious business name," "trade name," or "assumed name." Your own name is typically not allowed as your business name depending on the state you may live.

How to get a DBA?

Getting a DBA is unique for each state, county, or municipality. You will need to research on how to get a DBA for your business in your area. In most cases, it's an easy streamlined process with a minimal fee that will last for years. In some states, it can be a bit more complicated and it's best to call your controlling authority for this service to get the answers you need. 

3. Business Banking Account

Independent Field Connections writes checks and direct deposits to your business and your DBA. This is a requirement to receive funds from our company. For example, if your DBA is, "Connect and Go Now," your bank account must reflect this name in order to have funds deposited. You can contact your current bank for more details. 

Some of our contractors use and like online contractor banks like which requires you to supply your EIN and DBA digitally and received deposits right away. 

In Summary

To meet the requirements as an Independent Contractor, you must have all three of the required items above. We will only verify the EIN and DBA, but you will be unable to cash any checks or receive direct deposit without a business bank account with your DBA name on it. We make no exceptions to this requirement and never write personal checks to individuals. 

bottom of page